Is this email not displaying correctly?
View it in your browser .
Schedule a Meeting Website Blog Services Contact Us

What Taxes Do Businesses Have To Pay?


If you're running a business, you're on the hook for a variety of taxes. Let's take a look at the main categories:

Income tax — All businesses except partnerships must file an annual income tax return. (Partnerships file an information return.) However, which form you use depends on how your business is organized, so you'll need to keep that in mind as you prepare taxes and work with financial professionals.

Estimated tax — If you don't pay enough tax by having income tax withheld from your pay, you might have to pay estimated tax. Individuals, including sole proprietors, partners and S corporation shareholders, generally have to make estimated tax payments if they expect to owe tax of $1,000 or more when their return is filed. Corporations generally have to make estimated tax payments if they expect to owe tax of $500 or more when their return is filed.

Self-employment tax — When you work for yourself and don't have social security and Medicare taxes withheld from your salary by a full- or part-time job, you must pay taxes on income by making regular payments of estimated tax during the year. These payments contribute to your coverage under the social security system. Generally, you must pay self-employment tax and file Schedule SE if:

  • Your net earnings from self-employment are $400 or more.
  • You work for a church or qualified church-controlled organization that elected an exemption from social security and Medicare taxes, but you receive $108.28 or more in wages from the church or organization.

There are other rules and exceptions.

Employment taxes — If you have employees, you have employment tax responsibilities. You must pay them and there are forms you must file. Employment taxes include:

  • Social security and Medicare taxes.
  • Federal income tax withholding.
  • Federal unemployment, or FUTA, tax.

The rules about withholding and remitting employment taxes are both complicated and stringent, so it's best to work with a payroll professional.

Excise tax — You must pay excise tax and file forms if you:

  • Manufacture or sell certain products.
  • Operate certain kinds of businesses.
  • Use various kinds of equipment, facilities or products.
  • Receive payment for certain services.

Excise taxes include several broad categories:

  • Environmental taxes.
  • Communications and air transportation taxes.
  • Fuel taxes.
  • Tax on the first retail sale of heavy trucks, trailers and tractors.
  • Manufacturers' taxes on the sale or use of a variety of different articles.

These are just the federal taxes. You may also have to work with state taxing authorities. Also, most states have a state sales tax and even local sales taxes within states, and correctly calculating those can be a chore. As a business owner, understanding your tax requirements will help you file your taxes and make payments on time. Your best bet is to work closely with a qualified professional.

Travis  Raml, CPA
Travis Raml CPA & Associates, LLC
(443) 927-9161
10440 Little Patuxent Parkway, Suite 300
Columbia, MD 21044
Friend Me on Facebook
Follow Me on Twitter
Connect with me on LinkedIn
Saved Articles
Comments and Feedback
Refer A Friend
Your Privacy
Our firm provides the information in this e-newsletter for general guidance only, and does not constitute the provision of legal advice, tax advice, accounting services, investment advice, or professional consulting of any kind. The information provided herein should not be used as a substitute for consultation with professional tax, accounting, legal, or other competent advisers. Before making any decision or taking any action, you should consult a professional adviser who has been provided with all pertinent facts relevant to your particular situation. Tax articles in this e-newsletter are not intended to be used, and cannot be used by any taxpayer, for the purpose of avoiding accuracy-related penalties that may be imposed on the taxpayer. The information is provided "as is," with no assurance or guarantee of completeness, accuracy, or timeliness of the information, and without warranty of any kind, express or implied, including but not limited to warranties of performance, merchantability, and fitness for a particular purpose.
Powered by
Copyright © IndustryNewsletters All rights reserved.

This email was sent to:

Mailing address: 10440 Little Patuxent Parkway, Suite 300, Columbia, MD 21044