Here Are Your Articles for Monday, January 28, 2019
Is this email not displaying correctly?
View it in your browser .
Home About Us Industries We Serve Contact Us
Share Save

What to Know About Pensions and Taxes


The amount of taxes you should withhold from your pension is dependent on your tax rate and your household sources of income and deductions. Basically, you add up all your sources of income and subtract your deductions to get your taxable income.

Your taxable income determines your tax bracket, and you can use the tax bracket to estimate how much tax to withhold. It's clear that higher amounts of income are taxed at higher rates. The good news is that in retirement, it's likely you'll be in a lower bracket than when you were working.

Tax planning can help you figure the right amount to withhold. With tax planning, you can put together a pretend tax return, called a tax projection. As you transition into retirement, you'll want to work with financial professionals to help you with this.

How to calculate what you owe

Many factors can affect your income taxes, but there are ways to estimate your tax bill. Let's say your total income in a given year will be $20,000 from a pension and $30,000 from the money you withdraw from your IRA. You can fill out a "pretend" tax return (not for filing, just for your information), and you may find out that you will owe $5,000 in taxes. This is a 10 percent rate, so you will have 10 percent in federal taxes withheld directly from your pension and IRA distribution so that you receive $18,000 from your pension and $27,000 from your IRA.

When your tax situation changes, you will want to adjust your tax withholding. Say, in your first year of retirement you have a salary part of the year and you have a spouse who's still working. You may need to withhold a larger amount of taxes from your pension for the year. In the subsequent year, your income may change again, and that means you should adjust your tax withholding.

The following events may trigger a need to change your tax withholding in retirement:

  • Your spouse changes his or her work status.
  • You pay off a mortgage or take on a new one.
  • You have a large amount of taxable capital gains from the sale of a property, mutual funds or stock.
  • You make withdrawals from an annuity — or purchase one.
  • You take withdrawals from a retirement account.
  • You or a spouse starts taking Social Security benefits.
  • You reach age 70-1/2, and required IRA distributions begin.
  • You start receiving income from a pension.
  • You move, and your new state has a different income tax rate.

Keep an eye on your IRA distributions. And you may have cashed out of an old 401(k) account early in the year and then have forgotten about that by the time you file your tax return. Also, although you are allowed to work while collecting Social Security, there are special rules regarding that you should be aware of.

Don't let yourself be surprised by the amount of taxes you owe. It's best to plan that whenever you withdraw money from any accounts in retirement, you should ask about the tax implications. It's better to plan ahead than to get behind in taxes.


Share Save

Your Comments

Kim & Lee
Kim & Lee, LLP
2305 W. 190th St. Suite 100
Torrance, CA 90504
Saved Articles
Comments and Feedback
Refer A Friend
Your Privacy
Our firm provides the information in this e-newsletter for general guidance only, and does not constitute the provision of legal advice, tax advice, accounting services, investment advice, or professional consulting of any kind. The information provided herein should not be used as a substitute for consultation with professional tax, accounting, legal, or other competent advisers. Before making any decision or taking any action, you should consult a professional adviser who has been provided with all pertinent facts relevant to your particular situation. Tax articles in this e-newsletter are not intended to be used, and cannot be used by any taxpayer, for the purpose of avoiding accuracy-related penalties that may be imposed on the taxpayer. The information is provided "as is," with no assurance or guarantee of completeness, accuracy, or timeliness of the information, and without warranty of any kind, express or implied, including but not limited to warranties of performance, merchantability, and fitness for a particular purpose.
Powered by
Copyright © IndustryNewsletters All rights reserved.

This email was sent to:

Mailing address: 2305 W. 190th Street, Torrance, CA 90504