Here Are Your Articles for Monday, January 29, 2018
Is this email not displaying correctly?
View it in your browser .
Home About Us Industries We Serve Contact Us
Share Save

Is This Your Situation: You Want a Better Tax Outcome This Year


You hate writing checks to the Internal Revenue Service on April 15. But what can you do now to trim this year’s tax bill? Click through for some strategies to limit your tax obligations and reduce the chance of an unpleasant surprise.

Last year, you may have owed money to the IRS. How can you make sure that this won’t happen again? On the most basic level, you need to ensure that your withholding amounts are correct, and if you’re self-employed, that you pay the correct estimated taxes. But what else can you do?

The trick is to home in on special breaks for your circumstances and life stage. This will help you keep more money in your pocket.

  • Leftover losses. Use losses to offset income by subtracting profits on holdings you sold last year without any limit. Don't wait until late in the year to check for holdings that have lost value since they were purchased; they could be sold to offset gains. Look for opportunities to harvest tax losses throughout the year.
  • Grab a 0% tax rate on gains. Sell some winning funds later in the year, even if you plan to buy them back right away. Although you’ll have to pay a trading fee, you’ll reset your cost basis (what you paid) higher, so that you’ll owe less tax on future gains. (This works if you're in a low bracket that exempts you from long-term capital gains taxes.)
  • Hold funds that won’t throw off a lot of taxable income. Hold funds like a municipal bond fund or a low-turnover stock index fund that you expect to hold for years. Stash a high-income choice like a junk bond fund in an IRA (investment retirement account) or a 401(k) to keep that income off the return you’ll file next spring.
  • Save on taking courses. The Lifetime Learning Credit can trim your tax bill as long as your income doesn’t exceed a specified amount.
  • Boost your 401(k) contribution. If it’s a traditional plan funded with pretax dollars, your contribution will lower your tax bill.
  • Seize the American Opportunity Tax Credit. For parents currently paying college tuition, this tax credit is a rich break, as long as your income doesn't exceed certain limits.

The most important thing to remember is that every situation is different. Give us a call to find out how you can reduce your tax obligations, and we'll discuss strategies that are appropriate for your needs and long-term plans. We'll also make sure you're withholdings and estimated tax payments are appropriate.

Share Save

Your Comments

Kim & Lee
Kim & Lee, LLP
2305 W. 190th St. Suite 100
Torrance, CA 90504
Saved Articles
Comments and Feedback
Refer A Friend
Your Privacy
Our firm provides the information in this e-newsletter for general guidance only, and does not constitute the provision of legal advice, tax advice, accounting services, investment advice, or professional consulting of any kind. The information provided herein should not be used as a substitute for consultation with professional tax, accounting, legal, or other competent advisers. Before making any decision or taking any action, you should consult a professional adviser who has been provided with all pertinent facts relevant to your particular situation. Tax articles in this e-newsletter are not intended to be used, and cannot be used by any taxpayer, for the purpose of avoiding accuracy-related penalties that may be imposed on the taxpayer. The information is provided "as is," with no assurance or guarantee of completeness, accuracy, or timeliness of the information, and without warranty of any kind, express or implied, including but not limited to warranties of performance, merchantability, and fitness for a particular purpose.
Powered by
Copyright © IndustryNewsletters All rights reserved.

This email was sent to:

Mailing address: 2305 W. 190th Street, Torrance, CA 90504