Special Edition Newsletter for Monday, May 06, 2019
Is this email not displaying correctly?
View it in your browser .
Website Tax Services Consulting About Us Contact Us
Share Save

Required Minimum Distribution: What This Means for Your Retirement Plan


You must make required minimum distributions from your traditional IRAs after you reach age 70-1/2. However, taking money from your 401(k) or employer-based retirement plan may be delayed until after you stop working. There are a lot of subtleties, so it pays to read the fine print.

For example, say you are turning 70-1/2, you have until April 1 of the next year to take the money out, but the second and subsequent withdrawals need to be done by December 31. Normally, the same distributions need to be withdrawn from your 401(k)s, but if you continue to work, you can delay that first payout until you retire and then annual distributions kick in.

So how are minimum distributions calculated? They're based on your traditional IRA balance at the end of the previous year and on your life expectancy as determined by the IRS. You may have several IRAs, and then the distribution is based on the balance of all your traditional IRAs — and you can withdraw the money from one or more accounts. And yes, you can take out more than the minimum required — assuming you've reached the minimum age, of course. But for 401(k)s, each one needs to be dealt with separately — the minimum distribution must be withdrawn from each, and that amount is calculated using the uniform life expectancy figures as well.

Suppose you inherit an IRA from a parent, for example. What then? You can take all the money, not just the annual minimum, but realize that this money is taxable income depending on the type of IRA and whether the contributions were pretax or post-tax. And consider that taking a taxable distribution all at once may push you into a higher tax bracket. But if you still choose to take all the money now, an inherited IRA will be opened in your name to ensure that tax information is correctly reported to the IRS, and then you can choose to take the money in a single lump sum.

If you inherited the retirement account from your spouse, you can transfer the assets into a retirement account of your own. Required minimum distribution rules regarding when and how you can take the money are the same as if the account had always been yours.

What about if you inherit an IRA from someone other than a spouse? You can transfer the money to an inherited IRA, which can continue to grow tax deferred, and you can generally start withdrawing it immediately without paying a penalty, even if you haven't reached retirement age. You're required to withdraw specified amounts — those same required minimum distributions. The rub is that inherited IRAs are not protected from creditors in bankruptcy under federal law.

If you inherit a Roth IRA, required minimum distribution rules didn't apply to the original Roth IRA owner, but the withdrawal rules do apply to beneficiaries in an inherited Roth IRA. Spouse beneficiaries can move the assets to their own Roth IRA instead of an inherited Roth IRA to avoid distributions.

Roth accounts in 401(k) plans are subject to minimum requirements, so you may want to roll your plan to a Roth IRA to avoid the distributions. Before doing so, be sure to consider the effect of this decision on the five-year holding period for qualified distributions if you have not met the five-year requirement in your employer plan.

Another choice is not to take the money. If you prefer to allow the assets to pass to alternate beneficiaries — perhaps to avoid tax implications — you can choose to "disclaim" the account. You need to act within nine months of the original owner's death and before you've taken possession of the assets.

If you don't take the required minimum distributions from these accounts, you will be subject to a severe financial penalty … so pay attention.


Share Save

Your Comments

CironeFriedberg, LLP
CironeFriedberg, LLP
24 Stony Hill Rd, Bethel, CT 06801
(203) 798-2721
6 Research Dr, Suite 450, Shelton, CT 06484
(203) 366-5876
Friend Me on Facebook
Connect with me on LinkedIn
Saved Articles
Comments and Feedback
Refer A Friend
Your Privacy
Our firm provides the information in this e-newsletter for general guidance only, and does not constitute the provision of legal advice, tax advice, accounting services, investment advice, or professional consulting of any kind. The information provided herein should not be used as a substitute for consultation with professional tax, accounting, legal, or other competent advisers. Before making any decision or taking any action, you should consult a professional adviser who has been provided with all pertinent facts relevant to your particular situation. Tax articles in this e-newsletter are not intended to be used, and cannot be used by any taxpayer, for the purpose of avoiding accuracy-related penalties that may be imposed on the taxpayer. The information is provided "as is," with no assurance or guarantee of completeness, accuracy, or timeliness of the information, and without warranty of any kind, express or implied, including but not limited to warranties of performance, merchantability, and fitness for a particular purpose.
Powered by
Copyright © IndustryNewsletters All rights reserved.

This email was sent to: info@cironefriedberg.com

Mailing address: 24 Stony Hill Road, Bethel, CT 06801