Ryan, Here Are Your Articles for Thursday, December 06, 2018
Is this email not displaying correctly?
View it in your browser .
Website Services Tools Our Company Contact Us
Share Save

Is This Your Situation: Trying to Estimate Business Taxes


When you work for someone else, your employer generally takes out an appropriate amount of taxes from your paycheck for your federal taxes. But when you're self-employed, a sole proprietor or the owner of an S-corporation, you're responsible for paying your federal taxes both as an individual and as a business owner. Estimated taxes are taxes set aside and paid during the course of the year in anticipation of owing the government a certain amount of tax at the end of the year.

It usually is prudent to pay estimated taxes, and even may be required, in the following situations:

  • You are a sole proprietor, partner, S-corporation shareholder or a self-employed individual who estimates you will pay $1,000 or more in federal taxes at the end of the year.
  • You are filing as a corporation and you anticipate it will owe $500 or more in taxes for the year.
  • You have a tax liability from the prior year and have to pay an estimated tax this year.

How much your estimated taxes are depends on the total gross tax amount you anticipate owing. You'll need to estimate your expected adjusted gross income, taxable income, deductions, taxes and credits for the year. IRS Form 1040-ES can help you calculate your estimated taxes for the year, but it can get complicated.

Estimated taxes usually are paid quarterly, in the month following the close of the previous quarter. For example, quarter 1 taxes are paid in April, because the quarter ends in March. Estimated taxes can be paid on the IRS website using the free online tools provided.

Just as the IRS requires companies and individuals to pay taxes, the same applies to estimated taxes. The IRS prefers businesses to pay into the tax pool along the way, and if necessary, get a refund for overpayment later.

Who Does Not Have to Pay Estimated Taxes

If you're undecided about whether you should pay estimated taxes, speak with a qualified professional. The IRS provides general guidelines, too. If you meet the following three criteria, then you may be able to waive estimated taxes:

  • You were a U.S. citizen or resident for the whole year.
  • You had no tax liability for the previous year.
  • Your prior tax year covered a 12-month period.

If you don't meet these criteria, you likely owe. Give us a call today and we'll help you determine whether you need to pay estimated taxes and exactly how much.

Share Save

Your Comments

Ulrich & Associates, PC
Ulrich & Associates, PC
Office: (801) 627-2100
4991 Harrison Blvd
Ogden, UT 84403-4387
Friend Me on Facebook
Follow Me on Twitter
Saved Articles
Comments and Feedback
Refer A Friend
Your Privacy
Our firm provides the information in this e-newsletter for general guidance only, and does not constitute the provision of legal advice, tax advice, accounting services, investment advice, or professional consulting of any kind. The information provided herein should not be used as a substitute for consultation with professional tax, accounting, legal, or other competent advisers. Before making any decision or taking any action, you should consult a professional adviser who has been provided with all pertinent facts relevant to your particular situation. Tax articles in this e-newsletter are not intended to be used, and cannot be used by any taxpayer, for the purpose of avoiding accuracy-related penalties that may be imposed on the taxpayer. The information is provided "as is," with no assurance or guarantee of completeness, accuracy, or timeliness of the information, and without warranty of any kind, express or implied, including but not limited to warranties of performance, merchantability, and fitness for a particular purpose.
Powered by
Copyright © IndustryNewsletters All rights reserved.

This email was sent to: rulrich1@gmail.com

Mailing address: 4991 Harrison Blvd, Ogden, UT 84403-4387