Kirsch Kohn & Bridge, LLP, Here Are Your Articles for Thursday, March 29, 2018
Is this email not displaying correctly?
View it in your browser .
Website Services Our Firm Contact Us
Share Save

What's the Deal on Estimated Taxes?


When you are an employee, your employer withholds taxes from every paycheck and sends the money to the IRS. But, when self-employed or earning income other than a salary, you may need to pay estimated taxes each quarter. What kind of income might be subject to quarterly payments? Take the following, for example:

  • Interest income.
  • Dividends.
  • Gains from the sales of stock or other assets.
  • Earnings from a business.
  • Alimony.

If at filing time you haven't paid enough income taxes through withholding or quarterly estimated payments, you may have to pay penalties and interest for the underpayment.

When are estimated taxes due?

The installment payments are due on April 15, June 15, Sept. 15 and Jan. 15 of the following year, with adjustments made for weekends and official holidays. However, the IRS doesn't break the tax year into four three-month quarters for the calculation of income during the year for estimated tax purposes. The first quarter is Jan. 1 to March 31, but the second quarter is only two months long — April 1 to May 31. The third quarter is three months — June 1 to Aug. 31 — and the fourth quarter is the final four months of the year.

How to determine whether you need to make quarterly estimated taxes:

  1. Do you owe less than $1,000 in taxes for the tax year after subtracting your federal income tax withholding from the total amount of tax you expect to owe this year? If yes, you're safe; you don't need to make estimated tax payments.
  2. Do you expect your federal income tax withholding — plus any estimated taxes paid on time — to amount to at least 90 percent of the tax that you will owe for this tax year? If yes, you're clear — you don't need to make estimated tax payments.
  3. Do you expect your income tax withholding to be at least 100 percent of the tax on your previous year's return? If yes, you don't need to make estimated tax payments.

But, if none of these is the case, then you must make estimated tax payments. To avoid a penalty, your total tax payments — estimated tax payments plus withholding — during the year must satisfy one of the requirements just covered. These are just general guidelines, and there may be other reasons that allow you to avoid estimated payments or require you to file them.

And, the safest option to avoid underpayment penalties is to utilize the safe harbor provisions which allows for taxpayers to remit 100 percent of their previous year's taxes (or 110 percent of your previous year's taxes if your adjusted gross income exceeded $150,000, if married filing jointly or $75,000 if single). If you do this, you're likely not to have to pay an estimated tax penalty, no matter how much tax you owe with your return. (This may be especially relevant for those with high incomes.)

But if you expect your income this year to be less than last year's and you think you will owe at year-end, you can choose to pay 90 percent of your estimated current year's tax bill.

Now here's the next question — how do you pay your estimated taxes? Should you pay in equal amounts? Usually, it's in four equal installments. But, you might end up with unequal payments if:

  • You had your previous year's overpayment credited to your current year's estimated tax payments.
  • If you don't figure your estimated payments until after April, when the first one is due.
  • If you suddenly — happily! — make a lot of money in one quarter.

Basically, there are no good reasons to pay penalties. Follow the rules so you don't have to pay extra come April. Your best bet is to talk with us about your financial situation to make sure you are paying the right amounts at the right times.


Share Save

Your Comments

Kirsch Kohn & Bridge, LLP
Kirsch Kohn & Bridge, LLP
21550 Oxnard Street, Suite 200
Woodland Hills, CA 91367
(818) 907-6500
Saved Articles
Comments and Feedback
Refer A Friend
Your Privacy
Our firm provides the information in this e-newsletter for general guidance only, and does not constitute the provision of legal advice, tax advice, accounting services, investment advice, or professional consulting of any kind. The information provided herein should not be used as a substitute for consultation with professional tax, accounting, legal, or other competent advisers. Before making any decision or taking any action, you should consult a professional adviser who has been provided with all pertinent facts relevant to your particular situation. Tax articles in this e-newsletter are not intended to be used, and cannot be used by any taxpayer, for the purpose of avoiding accuracy-related penalties that may be imposed on the taxpayer. The information is provided "as is," with no assurance or guarantee of completeness, accuracy, or timeliness of the information, and without warranty of any kind, express or implied, including but not limited to warranties of performance, merchantability, and fitness for a particular purpose.
Powered by
Copyright © IndustryNewsletters All rights reserved.

This email was sent to:

Mailing address: 21550 Oxnard Street, Suite 200, Woodland Hills, CA 91367