Here Are Your Articles for Thursday, April 13, 2017
Is this email not displaying correctly?
View it in your browser .
Website Services Industries Resources About Us Contact Us
Share Save

What Insurance Do Small Businesses Need?


There's a wide variety of insurance a business needs. Not every business may need every kind, but it pays to deeply consider what your company needs, before disaster strikes. Look at the list below and see what may apply to you.

  1. General liability insurance — Even for home-based companies, liability insurance tops the list. The policy both defends against and covers damages for alleged bodily injury or property damage to a third party by you, your employees, or your products or services.
  2. Property insurance — This is for your building or business personal property of office equipment, computers, inventory or tools. Consider a policy to protect against fire, vandalism, theft and smoke damage. Think about interruption/loss of earnings insurance as part of the policy to protect earnings if your business is unable to operate.
  3. Business owner's policy — This packages all required coverage a business owner would need, including business interruption, property, vehicle, liability and crime insurance. You have a say in what you want to cover in a BOP, which often costs less money as a package than if coverage were bought individually.
  4. Commercial auto insurance — Protect your firm's vehicles that carry employees, products or equipment. You can insure work cars, SUVs, vans and trucks from damage and collisions. If employees drive their own cars on company business, you should have non-owned auto liability policies to protect your company in case your employee doesn't have enough coverage. Non-owned auto insurance can be part of your BOP package.
  5. Workers' compensation — This provides insurance to employees who are injured on the job, and it includes wage replacement and medical benefits. Employees therefore forfeit the right to sue the employer. This then protects you and your firm from legal complications. State laws vary, but they typically require workers' comp if you have W-2 employees. Penalties for noncompliance can be very stiff.
  6. Professional liability insurance — Also known as errors and omissions insurance, this coverage in the form of defense and damages is provided for failure to render or improperly rendered professional services. This insurance is applicable for such professionals as lawyers, accountants, consultants, notaries, real estate agents, insurance agents, hair salon owners and technology providers.
  7. Directors and officers insurance — This coverage protects against actions by directors and officers that affect the profitability or operations of your company.
  8. Data breach — If you store sensitive or nonpublic information about employees or clients on your computers and servers or as paper files, you're responsible for protecting that information. For electronic or paper breaches, the policy protects against loss.
  9. Life insurance — This provides money to beneficiaries in the event of an individual's death. You pay a premium in exchange for benefits. This insurance gives peace of mind, allowing you to know that your family/friends will not be burdened financially when you die. Although technically this is not business insurance, if you are essential to a business you own, you'll want this to protect your family.

You as a business owner have been exposed to risks from the day you opened the company. One lawsuit or catastrophic event could be enough to wipe out your firm before it even has a chance to get going. Fortunately, you have access to a wide range of insurance to protect your company against danger.


Share Save

Your Comments

Stephen Holladay
Stephen Holladay
Tax Practice Leader | Partner
(843) 665-5900
1411 Second Loop Road
Florence, SC 29505
Friend Me on Facebook
Follow Me on Twitter
Connect with me on LinkedIn
Saved Articles
Comments and Feedback
Refer A Friend
Your Privacy
Our firm provides the information in this e-newsletter for general guidance only, and does not constitute the provision of legal advice, tax advice, accounting services, investment advice, or professional consulting of any kind. The information provided herein should not be used as a substitute for consultation with professional tax, accounting, legal, or other competent advisers. Before making any decision or taking any action, you should consult a professional adviser who has been provided with all pertinent facts relevant to your particular situation. Tax articles in this e-newsletter are not intended to be used, and cannot be used by any taxpayer, for the purpose of avoiding accuracy-related penalties that may be imposed on the taxpayer. The information is provided "as is," with no assurance or guarantee of completeness, accuracy, or timeliness of the information, and without warranty of any kind, express or implied, including but not limited to warranties of performance, merchantability, and fitness for a particular purpose.
Powered by
Copyright © IndustryNewsletters All rights reserved.

This email was sent to:

Mailing address: 1411 Second Loop Road, Florence, SC 29505